How long is that, you ask? Um. . . 26.2 miles.
I was trying to remember when I said I'd do the marathon. I knew it had been captured via email, or I'm sure I would have gotten out of so much exercise. I went looking for the email, and started laughing out loud from the exchange. I'm going to re-print the excerpt here because it's cute and gives you a glimpse into how fantastic and supportive Ciara is. This exchange happened while Ciaracat was away in Europe during July and I was missing her. We'd been emailing back and forth for about a week on this chain and I was espousing my laziness (and she hers) . . . and then she asked me this. . .(oh, btw - ciaracat is funny and for context - Suz is ciaracat's best friend since childhood - she's also an all around most fantastic woman)
---------------------
From ciaracat to me:
You don't want to sign up for the marathon in November do you??
Suz is going to come up and do it. And I'm really nervous. But excited about
having a new goal an something to train for.
I love you. And hope
You're not too
Lazy to see me.
From me to ciaracat:
Ok. . . so. . .committing to a marathon
we're walking, right?
I'll say yes IF we are just walking - but I'm gonna need to
seriously get off my ASS!!!!
and I won't be too lazy to see you. . . I promise.
(btw - the sun agrees
with you)
From ciaracat to me:
Um YAH we’re walking. Have you EVER known me to even run after a
bus???
Crack bird mama!!
That would be amazing.
For the record I have not started my training yet so...!!
From me to ciaracat:
I was just checking. . . I mean. .. dude. . . a marathon is just
so (well, what's the word?) . . . so . . .daunting.
but yes, I will do it! send me links (again) so I can
officially be accountable for doing it.
From ciaracat to me:
Honey. It Is huge. And I will NOT think anything if you think
it's too much right now. Seriously. I'm shitting my pants for roping Suzanne in
to it!! For me there's no Going back!! So!! Don't worry about feeling not ready
yet!!
If you want to look up more the info is just at Seattle marathon
2012. Don't have the link handy at the mo.
Love u!
From me to ciaracat:
No worries, will do some official googling. . .
and it isn't too much in fact, it might be just enough right
now. I need to figure out something to work for!!
----------------------
And actually, when I check the dates on these emails, I see that she asked me that EXACTLY four months ago today - HOLY CRAP - only 4 months ago??? How is that possible? I can't believe I actually trained to be ready for this thing in only FOUR MONTHS????
How long is that, you ask? Um. . . 26.2 miles and at the end of this journey I'll have gone more than 100 miles.
I have to say, it's been a most amazing journey.
I was born with a club foot (it sounds worse than it is) and was actually a Forrest Gump kid, complete with a brace contraption that had a leather belt around the waist, two metal pole like things down each side of my legs and a metal plate between the two shoes. I think there is only one picture I have with it and I can't say I remember spending a lot of time in it. At age 5, I had surgery to fix my foot permanently. I had a wonderful doctor (in 1979!) and he did such a good job you would never know today that I had this "disability." In fact, I used to run pretty regularly as a kid. I was on the track team and ran hurdles and relays. Don't get me wrong, I had my fair share of troubles. I sprained my foot many times and had several stress fractures (it's my right foot and as such I used it as my lead leg as a hurdler. . . that's a lot of stress). I did stop running sometime in high school after a particularly bad injury that required a visit to a doctor who said, "you're running? you shouldn't be walking let alone running." Of course, I'm paraphrasing what I remember about that day and it probably wasn't that bad. . . but that is how it felt. The thing I DO remember most about that day at the doctor's was afterwards, my mom and I left the office quietly and on the way to the car she says, "well that calls for a snickers bar"- mom is awesome and knew chocolate would cure all at age 16. I stopped running after that but don't worry, I have not been a total lazy hack.
With all of that history, I knew, as did Ciara, I needed a good pair of walking shoes. We went to Road Runner Sports in Green Lake to get tested. They take a picture of your gate and also a pressure test of your feet (see, my right foot looks like I don't put any pressure on the ball of that foot). 20 minutes later, I was out the door ready to take on our walking goals.
Ciara and I started out just walking a couple of miles at a time which didn't seem so bad and we'd done that so much anyway going down to baseball games and concerts in Sodo. We went around Green Lake a couple of times, but, we decided after the second time, if we had to do any length of time we'd get bored going around in circles and planned city trips from then on. It was through that kind of thinking that I learned so much about my awesome city!
![]() |
| we were ready to do this thing! |
![]() |
| so many people! |
It wasn't long after I said I would do the marathon, I did my first 10K (which is officially 6.21 miles in case you need the conversion - I usually do). I hadn't walked any more than 3.5 or maybe 4 miles at this point and so I was really nervous. This first race was the Lake Union 10K and I walked it with Trish West - a most amazing woman who had never done this before either! I have to say, 6 miles seemed SO MUCH LONGER than I had ever walked before. But it was cool to walk down the middle of highway 99. There were so many people and I was afraid of being last even though that was silly. I've included a picture of the 5km mark. I remember going - OK - half way to go!!!! Dang, that last half was rough! But we made it (and we weren't last!).
![]() |
| half way. . . half way to go! |
![]() |
| I did it! |
Ciara and I did our first 10K together about two weeks after my first and then one week after, we walked 7 miles. This time the actual length wasn't so bad! I was nervous though, because I remembered how long that last half of that 10K seemed. The cool thing about this 10k (it was Seattle Marathon's 10k), was that we went under the highway 99 bridge in downtown Seattle! So cool. I cried pretty hard after this one for a couple of reasons. First, it was really cool to cross the finish line with Ciara (she's inspired me so much and I was so grateful to have her with me), secondly, they had military folks down there giving us ribbons as we crossed the line (how can you not be grateful at that?) and lastly, and really most importantly to me, Mikal came down and cheered us on and drove us home!
Then I went to Turkey and stopped "training" in the traditional sense. . . well, let's be honest, I only trained in so much as I walked every day, but not hard, not fast, and I stopped a lot - to eat, to admire ridiculously awesome sites and to lie on the beach. . . so - for two weeks, I was on intermission. . .

Upon my return, I had signed up for the Lifelong AIDS Alliance walk on Capitol Hill - it was only a 5K and I roped my step-daughter into it. She was nervous at first, but we ended up having a great time, walking 3.1 miles and giving to a great cause. Lauren swears next year we'll be the Tummy Wombat Family and get a bunch of people to be a team, dress up all crazy like and have another great time. Who doesn't like walking down the middle of the street, going through red lights, and making traffic wait for you?
It was now time for the big leagues. Ciara and I needed to train a little bit harder and a little bit longer. We signed up for a half marathon in Vancouver, WA called the Girlfriend's Half Marathon and it was only three weeks away. We started by scheduling every Saturday a walk of some large amount of miles. We walked to Shilshole marina which was my first 10 mile walk. The best part was meeting one our friends at Zayda Buddy's in Ballard. Beer, tator tot casserole and pizza were the rewards. So amazing. . .
Two weeks later, we were in the half marathon. To think I hadn't walked 13 miles before and that I would do it that day was a bit daunting. We didn't talk much (I think it was mostly me. . . ) when we first got there. There were more women than I had seen in one place, EVER. Before the race we waited in line with about 1000 (and I am NOT exaggerating) women to go to the bathroom and met a couple of older women we saw later on the course. They were really sweet and took our picture before we started. I found it exciting, later that day, to wave and say good luck as we were passing them on the way back.

We also met Betty. She was our godsend, I think. She must have been at least 65 (though, who knows these days) and as Ciara and I were cheering ourselves on to get to the Miller Lite at BW3, Betty struck up a conversation with us about what to eat before and after the walks. She's been on (wait for it) SIX (yes, that is the number 6) marathons! We walked with her for the next bit in the marathon before we were passed by her (we did stop, to be fair) and then we passed her later on! She and her friend told us how to train for the marathon. We learned we shouldn't be walking as fast as we want to during the actual marathon - it's about putting in the miles and getting your body ready for the actual length of time you'll be out there. We felt so much better after meeting Betty. I'm not going to lie, the last three miles were excruciating!! Betty also taught us to change it up a little while we were walking, so now, when you see me and Suzanne and Ciara walking, we sometimes do this weird dancing thing or we do high knee lifts when it gets tough. Go ahead, laugh, it works. . . and I'll keep looking like a moron if it keeps me from wanting to die on the course.
We were never alone on the course because there were so many other women and (as you can see in some of the pictures) everyone was was excited to be in the race and were really supportive of each other. We would cheer for the runners coming back the other way and for each other when it looked like we were having a rough time. Complete strangers would clap for us and cheer us on. I probably cried on the course about 5 times. It was completely amazing.
The last 3 miles of the course were pretty rough. I thought I was getting a blister and, as I mentioned earlier, I never walked 13 miles before, so the end was really really hard. But we made it and I was so excited I picked Ciara up and twirled her around. I only asked later if I hurt her (luckily I hadn't!)! And as we crossed the finish line, there was a receiving line of officers and volunteers handing out water bottles (with water in them, thankfully!!) and medals! My first official MEDAL!!! We could not wait to reward ourselves with some beer and chicken wings.
Unfortunately it was a Sunday which meant lots of people and football. . . service was less than desirable for two really hangry (yes, hangry) peeps that just walked 13 miles and spent more than 1350 calories! BUT, when the food came, it was SOOOO good. I don't think Ciara and I talked to each other until after we inhaled food. The worst part of the trip was actually the ride/drive home. I am grateful Ciara was driving because it was a THREE HOUR drive and it poured the ENTIRE way home. Talk about a sucky end to an awesome day. We did make it home safely and both fell into bed exhausted but so happy about our accomplishment!
The following week was only an 8 mile walk. I believe we were scheduled to go on Saturday, but after much imbibing by both Ciara and myself (independently from each other - we're not always bad influences on one another), we postponed until Sunday. . .we both needed some . . . rest. But the next day - IT WAS ON! And man, it seemed like NOTHING compared to what we had done the two weeks prior. That week, I saw the sculpture park which I had never seen before. It was beautiful to walk down on the water and across the Amgen bridge and up a Queen Anne trail (though there was much cursing Ciara for this particular path - but we needed to do some hills because the actual marathon has a bunch of them). I found that after the hill, much to my dismay, I was energized and refreshed. We were supposed to go up the big Denny Hill on the way home, but I totally bagged out and went to GameWorks to meet my family and have fries and beer. Ciara is a better woman than I.
Then there was the 20 miles. The coolest part about this 20 mile walk was that we were doing it with Suzanne - thanks to technology! We had a three way text going on and were cheering each other on! It was a bit grey here in Seattle (and 70 degrees for Suzanne in San Fran) and we were expecting some rain. We had only had a little taste of bad weather during the 16 mile week on the way back from Alki - it freaking hailed on us. I think there is a picture of it. . . hailed. . . seriously? right? So, we were hoping we'd get some rain on our 20 mile walk so we would know what it could be like on a really bad day during the marathon.
![]() |
| not discouraged by the amount of miles! |
The walk itself was beautiful. One of the things Ciara and are continually amazed by is the awesome neighborhoods here in Seattle. There are awesome parks and houses and you would never know they were even there! Most of the pictures from this walk day are from Ciara (she's definitely on the ball when it comes to recording our walks and could probably be the source for any walking magazine if they needed pics!).
![]() |
| we laugh at the rain! |
For some reason, neither Ciara nor I were very pleased around the 10 mile mark. My ankle hurt and I had wrapped it so. . . this was a little discouraging. Then we got "lost" in Seward Park (aka we took a forest trail rather than going around it on the paved trail). We discovered having crap kicked up on the backs of your legs sucks more than getting wet - sucks WAY more. . . But we got through it and mostly didn't have any rain until we got to Beacon Hill and then it started to rain a little bit. Our theory about "knowing where we are going makes the miles seem not so bad" actually held up until we saw that we had 2 miles left and Capital Hill looked . . . so . . . far. . . away.
Our plan was to have Mikal drive us to The Hurricane where we would eat and drink. Ciara and I were so tired we barely spoke (it's tougher when no one is cheering you on) while we shoved food and beer down our throats. I am not sure either of us tasted it. We looked pretty funny too. . . talk about two old women trying to get in and out of the car - it was pretty funny. The 20 miles was too much for my ankle though, but thanks to a great doctor and two cortisone shots later, it is as good as new.
![]() |
| who knew there was the path all the way back to downtown |
![]() |
| Seward park is beautiful |
![]() |
| we didn't have a membership, so we kept walking |
![]() |
| ridiculous, no? |
![]() |
| I had never been this far to I-90 except when I drove on it |

![]() |
| so pretty! |

| the rocks hate Ciara |
| caught in the act! there is no sitting on this trip! |
| we could see the city - it just seemed so far away! |
| ahh |
The two weeks after the 20 mile walk felt like 10 minute jaunts. And we even did four hills!
So - it's less than 12 hours away now and I cannot think of anything else. Yesterday, Suzanne, Ciara and I went to pick up our packets. . . I have an official number 19063 and a shirt. I'm very nervous but we have amazing support in our best friends and partners (thank you Tori and Mikal!).
I am about to walk an entire marathon. . .
yeah - holy ravioli - see you at the finish line - I'll be the one hugging her two friends and crying.























No comments:
Post a Comment