So, let's start with the numbers:
Weight: 170 - Total loss 9lbs
Belly (the largest part around my mid area): 37.5 - total loss 1.5"
Waist (the real waist line): 32" - total loss 2"
Hips (including the butt): 39.75" - total loss 2.25"
Left Thigh: 23.75" - total loss .25"
Right Thigh: 23.5" - total loss .5"
Bust (the below part): 34.75" - total loss .25
Boobs: 40" - total loss 1.5"
Left Arm: 13" - total loss .5"
Right Arm: 13.25" - total loss .5
Total inches = 9.25
Total lbs = 9
I'm kind of impressed with a few things about the diet, about my progress, and about what I've learned both about food and about myself.
Here's the deal. The first week and a half I found myself thinking about food ALL THE TIME. I had never been good at staying on a diet where I didn't like the food. Here's the thing about this one. I really like the food, but I had never really cooked anything like this stuff, so I spend a TON of time looking at the recipes and trying to figure out what I was going to eat. It became overwhelming AND distracting to nearly everything else I was doing.
So, I have stuck to a few guiding principles of this diet and stopped following it like a religion where I strictly only eat what they have in the book. Here are those guiding principles.
Move (yes, Scott you are right) and move more than you did before. And I really like moving. I like working out. I have walked to work every day for the last three weeks except for 2 days (and that's because it was blowing rain sideways AND I was late. But really, I have actually worked out 6 days a week at home for at least 10 - 15 minutes. That's all the work out in the book really calls for (in addition to your walking). And it's getting easier. If there is ONE THING you should learn about any exercise program is that IT WILL GET EASIER. So, it's okay if you don't do every thing the first week or even the second or third week. It gets easier. In fact, I've decided to change it up and do another kind of work out. I like it.
Drink water - I never used to do this. I makes you pee a heck of a lot more, but it really really helps in your ability to not be hungry. And GUESS WHAT - it's good for your skin and your body. I found that I really enjoyed drinking sassy water. And making sassy water. So, I drink it a lot more. This helps you lose weight.
Portion control - it took two weeks for me to understand how much food was the right amount and caloric makeup (about 400 calories 4x a day). It also too about 2 weeks for my enlarged stomach (our stomachs get stretched when we eat the HUGE amounts of food we have become accustom to) to get used to having smaller food. This one is a no-brainer (yes Scott, again, you were right eat less).
EAT SLOWLY - so, I didn't actually do what they tell you in the book. They tell you to not multi-task when you're eating. Just focus on the eating part. But if any of you know me (even a little), I pretty much cannot survive without multi-tasking (even as we speak, I'm watching television, writing, and have had a few side conversations with Mikal). But I do savor the food more. And if you eat more slowly, your mind can catch up with you and remind you that you're not hungry after the portion of food you've allotted.
So, I can safely say that this is working for me. It really is. I haven't really given up beer or wine or scotch or even ice cream when I want it. It's about the choices I make about HOW MUCH, HOW FAST, WHETHER I MOVE MORE and NOT FEELING GUILTY for not following the diet exactly. I mean, really - I've lost 9lbs in 21 days. Pretty good. And to be honest, I'm not even trying that hard. I know that if I wanted to try harder, I'd work out more and plan better about my meals. But the book preaches about stuff having to work for you. And I'm learning. I'll be happy with how this turns out in the remaining 11 days. I may even try harder in the next 11 days.
Here's the cool news - my size 10 jeans are fitting a bit better. Mikal has told me (without provocation) that he can tell on my hips and arms that I've lost some weight. A person at work has mentioned it as well. My nylons fit better around my thighs (I now know why larger people don't wear skirts - the rub of the thighs is AWFUL).
I look at the scale and it hovers at the 170 mark. If next week I make it UNDER that tick mark on the scale - I'll be really really happy. I feel better, I feel happier, and my clothes aren't uncomfortable anymore. And I think I'll extend it beyond the 32 days. I'll be doing this for the next couple of months and then I think I'll be where I want to be. . . back where I was a year ago. Not a lofty goal - achievable. Another thing I've learned. . . things are achievable.
No comments:
Post a Comment