Thursday, August 11, 2016

Campaigning is exhausting

And writing about it in real time is pretty hard, too.
cleaning

I have two more days started, but there is that whole recall and editing thing. But after 6-8 hours of calling, cleaning, data entry, organizing and arting, I'm too exhausted to keep up every day, so I'll write and write and write and then edit and edit and edit and then post as I go along. Thank you for hanging in with me.


my notes for calling
And we're not even there the whole day.  The office Organizers are working from 10am to way past 11pm or later and last night, one of them did laundry until 3am. . . . while a bat was flying around his head. In fact, they are working 7 days a week.  They had to ask their office head managers to postpone a voter registration training on Sunday from 10am to 3:30pm because they are so tired and need one day where they can sleep in.
Calling

 And they are ON . . .  ALL . . . DAY. Talking and teaching and explaining and calm and patient. It's amazing to watch.  Most of them have quit their jobs and taken pay cuts to make sure Hillary gets elected. They believe and they are here for the long haul.

using my organizing and handwriting skills
Mischa came from Colorado Springs, Andre from Florida and Brian from Philadelphia. They each believe in this campaign and they have given up places they knew to help this campaign. These are the real heroes.

I have been getting wonderful comments and kudos for doing this, but really, I'm just a volunteer that will go home in a week while these three dedicated people will stay here.  They'll stick out the heat and the hang ups and the people yelling at them. They'll listen top how Obama wants to be king. They'll listen to people that tell them Hillary is trying to take away their guns.  They'll listen to people that will say, "two years ago, he [Obama] went on TV and said he was king and is trying to get rid of the constitution. He's trying to abolish the amendments because he wants to be King Obama. He's trying to get rid of the second amendment and when that goes, the first amendment will go, too." They'll try to ask where they heard this information.  They'll try to explain amendments can't be abolished with out the senate and the congress agreeing. They'll finally say, "thank you for your time. Please know, I, as a democrat, do not want to take your rights away. Please know, I, as a democrat, want to get you paid medical leave when you are injured. Please know, I, as a democrat, want to help you. Thank you, and have a good evening" hoping they have made a small impression.
Mischa and Andre are in this pic, but I'll get something better

Every night, when we leave, Mischa gets up and says, "cuddles!!! cuddles!!! I need to give you cuddles!" And she then she hugs us. How can you not love that?

So, I'm exhausted, but I can only imagine what it's like for them.  They are my heroes. And I hope they are yours, too. Soon. . . soon, I'll get you pictures. . . and more words about what I've learned.


(p.s. all credit for photos go to Ciara McGrath) If you want to start from the beginning, here is my caucus post and my backstory about why I'm doing this.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love! Love! Love!
And cuddles...

Unknown said...

Love! Love! Love!
And cuddles...